Our purpose is to meet the diverse needs of an aging population by challenging adults to stay intellectually stimulated, socially engaged and physically fit. The Alliance for Quality Education (AQE) will develop and offer programs and activities in the Mira Mesa Senior Center under the following categories:
Classes such as tai chi, yoga, or Zumba to get participants active and moving and have physical/exercise sessions. We also have fun classes like Fit and Move, Fun 30 Minute Walk, and more.
- Bingo – Reflexes and coordination decline naturally as senior’s age, however certain games can help seniors maintain a high-level of hand-eye coordination. The game requires a great deal of mental flexibility and alertness to grasp, identify, and remember specific information, bingo may help improve your loved one’s cognitive acuity and short-term memory.
- Mahjong – Mahjong is a tile-based game that was developed in the 19th century in China and has spread throughout the world since the early 20th century. It is commonly played by four players. Playing mahjong has also been found effective in improving short-term memory, attention, and logical thinking in both middle-aged and elderly people. Keep your mind sharp. Games for the brain!
- Dancing – enjoy line dancing, swing dancing and more. Dancing is not only fun, but it also keeps residents fit.
- Music, karaoke, and other entertainment.
- Special Events (Holidays) – Often events are holiday themed, but no special occasion is needed.
- Cultural – it would be great to have a cultural night on occasion, where the Vietnamese, Filipino, Indian, and every other community in Mira Mesa.
- Classes – meet other people in fun activities or in classes throughout the week. Make new friends at our classes, events, and functions – or bring them with you!
Mira Mesa Senior Center (MMSC) is currently home to six emeritus programs of San Diego Continuing Education-North City Campus.
Limited programs will be offered, as many of the Community College Continuing Education Classes are currently available online.
- Life Painting Classes. Mondays 10:30am – 1:30pm
- Observational Painting – this class is designed around observation and perceptual painting mostly done in oil. Students will paint from life and still life. Mondays 1:00pm – 5:00pm
- Watercolor painting all levels – learn basic watercolor techniques that will give you a solid foundation for watercolor painting. Thursdays 8:15am – 11:30am
- Ukulele and Guitar Classes – learn how to play these fun instruments! Wednesdays 9:30am – 11:30am and Thursdays 8:15pm – 3:00pm
- Rediscover San Diego – escorted tours through exciting places in San Diego! Tuesday Mornings 9:30am – 12:00pm
- Piano Class – learn how to make music on the piano! Beginners are welcomed! Wednesdays 1:00pm – 4:00pm
All of these classes are free to older adults and seniors.
Health and Wellness: HICAP – Medicare Counseling on location. Call to schedule a one-on-one appointment at 1-800-434-0222.
Education & Advocacy: Elder Law & Advocacy – Free legal advice for seniors, including basic estate planning, landlord/tenant issues, probate, etc. By appointment only, please call 858-565-1392. First Monday of each month. Legal Aid Society – on site free consumer health and much more.
Fun 30 Min Walk (YouTube) – 9:15am – 9:45am
Fit and Move – Mondays – 10:00am – 11:00am
Mahjong – Tuesdays – 10:00am – 2:00pm
Seasonal Gardening – Wednesdays – 10:00am – 12:00pm
Zumba – Wednesdays – 4:00pm – 5:00pm
Fun Karaoke – Thursdays – 11:30am – 1:30pm
Yoga – Thursdays – 4:00pm – 5:00pm
Bingo – Fridays – 9:00am – 11:00am
Only 50 cents for three cards. No admittance after 10:00am!
Learn to Dance – Fridays – 2:00pm – 4:00pm
Line Dancing – Fridays – 4:00pm – 5:00pm
Our December 2023 Calendar and Program List are now available! Click on the link below to see the printable pdf, or click here to view the month calendar!
PDF of December’s programs and calendar below: