Our purpose is to meet the diverse needs of an aging population by challenging adults to stay intellectually stimulated, socially engaged and physically fit. The Alliance for Quality Education (AQE) will develop and offer programs and activities in the Mira Mesa Senior Center under the following categories: Health and Wellness
- Exercise Classes – Classes such as tai chi, yoga, or Zumba to get participants active and moving and have physical/exercise sessions
- Cooking and Healthy Eating – Giving participants the information on the importance of eating healthily, what to eat, nutrition, and healthy cooking techniques
- Meditation – Participants will learn what meditation is and why it’s worth practicing.
- Total wellness – learn about the aspects of total wellness and how to apply it to daily life.
- Bingo – Reflexes and coordination decline naturally as senior’s age, however certain games can help seniors maintain a high-level of hand-eye coordination. The game requires a great deal of mental flexibility and alertness to grasp, identify, and remember specific information, bingo may help improve your loved one’s cognitive acuity and short-term memory.
- Dancing – enjoy line dancing, swing dancing and more. Dancing is not only fun, but it also keeps residents fit.
- Musical performances and other entertainment – live entertainment frequently offered by senior communities includes standup comedy, opera, bands, drama groups, and visiting choirs.
- Field trips – to museums, sports games, concerts, shows and possibly the beach.
- Special Events (Holidays) – Often events are holiday themed, but no special occasion is needed.
- Cultural – it would be great to have a cultural night on occasion, where the Vietnamese, Filipino, Indian, and every other community in Mira Mesa.
- Mixer/Networking type of event – opportunity to meet other participants who live or stay in the area or who have similar interests.
- Movie night – time to show participants a new movie or a classic from a previous era.
- Computer class – learn how to use a computer and set up and email and Facebook account
- Public transportation – participants can learn the MTA system and how to get around without owning a vehicle
- Retirement and saving money – participants can gain knowledge on retirement and putting money away and how it can benefit them.
- Healthy eating and nutrition – For and about seniors, finding resources on healthy eating, nutritional challenges related to aging, food safety issues, and more
- Civic engagement – learn 4 essential elements of civic engagement: Volunteerism, Helping your neighbors, Joining civic clubs and Voting – learn who your representative is and how can they help. Participants can learn about current issues and campaign platforms for candidates for office.
The Center will continue to strengthen on going relationships we already have with San Diego Community College, AARP, Serving Seniors and Aging and Independent Services, they and other such organizations already have the programs and services packaged and ready to serve the community.
Mira Mesa Senior Center (MMSC) is currently home to six emeritus programs of San Diego Continuing Education-North City Campus.
Limited programs will be offered, as many of the Community College Continuing Education Classes are currently available online.
- Life Painting Classes. Mondays 10:30am – 1:30pm
- Observational Painting – this class is designed around observation and perceptual painting mostly done in oil. Students will paint from life and still life. Mondays 1:00pm – 5:00pm
- Watercolor painting all levels – learn basic watercolor techniques that will give you a solid foundation for watercolor painting. Thursdays 8:15am – 11:30am
- Ukulele and Guitar Classes – learn how to play these fun instruments! Wednesdays 9:30am – 11:30am and Thursdays 8:15pm – 3:00pm
- Rediscover San Diego – escorted tours through exciting places in San Diego! Tuesday Mornings 9:30am – 12:00pm
- Communicating with Technology – learn how to use your technology devices! Tuesdays 1:00pm – 3:00pm
- Piano Class – learn how to make music on the piano! Beginners are welcomed! Wednesdays 1:00pm – 4:00pm
All of these classes are free to older adults and seniors.
Health and Wellness: HICAP – Medicare Counseling on location. Call to schedule a one-on-one appointment at 1-800-434-0222.
Education & Advocacy: Elder Law & Advocacy – Free legal advice for seniors, including basic estate planning, landlord/tenant issues, probate, etc. By appointment only, please call 858-565-1392. First Monday of each month. Legal Aid Society – on site free consumer health and much more.
Lunch: Our healthy lunches provide a third of the daily requirements for older adult. No senior is turned away, however, a small donation is suggested. Also available for homebound. Lunch program provided by Serving Seniors – Coming Soon!
Tai Chi – Mondays – 8:00am – 9:30am
Fit and Move – Mondays – 10:00am – 11:00am
Mahjong – Tuesdays – 10:00am – 2:00pm
Tai Chi – Wednesdays – 7:30am – 9:15am
Seasonal Gardening – Wednesdays – 10:00am – 12:00pm
Zumba – Wednesdays – 4:00pm – 5:00pm
Yoga – Thursdays – 4:00pm – 5:00pm
Bingo – Fridays – 9:00am – 11:00am
Only 50 cents for three cards. No admittance after 10:00am!
Other Services: AARP Tax preparation by appointment only – every Tuesdays and Thursday, 11:00am to 1:00pm (by appointment only). This service will resume in 2022.
Our December 2021 Calendar and Program List are now available! Click on the link below to see the printable pdf, or click here to view the month calendar!
PDF of December’s programs and calendar below: